Sunday, February 27, 2011

A rant about Facebook

I caved.
I finally joined the world of Facebook.
With pressure from many, many friends and family (that means you Louisa and Stephanie!) I opened an account.
Before joining I checked out my friends' accounts and heard people talk about Facebook but once I logged on it was shocking.
It seemed as though I already existed on Facebook -- without my knowledge. There were already photographs of me, of JD and of Addie! Once joining I had 15 friend requests immediately. Were these people all online at that moment in time? How did they know where I was? How did they know I joined?
And what really shocked me about Facebook. And I mean really shocked me. In the first 24-hours I received 68 emails from Facebook. 68. Do they really think I have time to read 68 emails?!
Granted, most of them contained mundane information but sometimes it told me a friend of my friend who I've never heard of or met talked about this other person I knew who tagged me in their gallery. Seriously, what? Who has time for this?
I am tempted to just quit it all.
Forget my wall posts and accepting friend requests from people I haven't seen in 15 years or that friend's brother's girlfriend you met while at a wedding in Utah.
But I can't quit, because I now feel the need to represent myself, JD and Addie in the way I want on Facebook. Corny I know, but really. Posting the photos I want and sharing the stories I want.
When it comes down to it -- it really amazes me how interconnected everyone seems to be on Facebook. And that's what I do like about it.
After the controlled chaos calms down of being new to Facebook and I figure out how to organize my photos, I'm sure I will enjoy the convenient ability to stay in touch with so many friends and family -- and connect with old friends.
Bring on the wall posts.

p.s. not to worry...this doesn't mean I'm abandoning this blog...there will be many more photos and stories of Addie to come!

No comments: